Monthly Archives: November 2009

Wet day in Strid

It rained today in Strid Wood

The river was as high as I’ve seen it since I started here a year ago.  Richard D was with me and he took these photos.  It was cold as well as wet and we only had the short tarp up as we’re still walking in to the workshop until a replacement Landy comes on stream, later this week hopefully, when we can take the big heavy tarp in again.  The deer season has started again, you may be able to make out one on the stump above.

Despite the weather we had a productive day.  Richard turned some chisel handles, axed out some spoon blanks, worked on his kuska and levelled up a three-legged, high-level chopping block for light use:

Need to fix up a cover for it.  Should be useful when doing very light fine chopping e.g. with a knife, spoon work etc.

I was busy fitting the bottom rungs for chair #5, making old oak pegs for the ladder-back top splats, finishing up the bow tenons on the prototype log hod and breaking out a new bow blank for a production log tote hopefully.

Nice action photo Richard, thanks!

OK so the rain is going to stop tonight, and then a frost of -5 is predicted for Monday night.  Must take the camera in Tuesday.

Onwards!

Just about caught up with myself!  Now just need to get a replacement Landy, complete with electric death chair for the unawares (only joking) and replenish my lesser used tools (like a tool bag for instance!)  Finish off the dining chairs, small table and then it’s full speed ahead Christmas. May even do some logging soon, oh yes, must get a petrol/oil can for the saw.

Here’s the next project starting up:

Improvised long steamer.

I’m making a log hod (or tote as it’s called in the American steam bending book I’m using).  I added the bag on the end of my normal steamer which was only made to take chair backs.  It kind of worked but I think the end of the hod bows didn’t really get hot enough, even though they were in for an hour.  Here are the two bows drying:

This one failed.

Always a danger, I think this one may be due to uneven thinning with the draw knife.

The fibres couldn’t bend enough on the outside and gave way:

This one’s better (not perfect, a knot has spoiled the top bend), but it will do as a prototype for testing use at home.

I’ve learnt from this though, proper extension to steamer needed, clear timber and thinner, more even work on the bow profile.  I think I’ll change the riving out of the timber 90 degrees and see whether that improved the bending evenness.

Here’s the penultimate dining chair back I glued up yesterday in the woods

Today I’m finishing off  #4 and sizing the side rungs for #5 above in the luxury of home – it’s a bit too muddy at the bodgery for weaving seats.