I’ve been struggling along with a sash cramp made up of Marples loose heads and a 3 foot odd piece of milled ash. The ash was thicker than it needed to be, so I’d attacked it with the axe to thin it down and seem to have drilled random holes that were:
a) not far enough away from the edge of the ash to make the heads seat properly, and
b) the randomness meant that it was almost always the wrong length and much packing was needed to make them kind of work.
I occasionally get fed up with my sloppy ways as I did when I was using this sash cramp on the memory box which has now gone to a satisfied customer:
When I set initially set up in Strid Wood I had a pole lathe and a shave horse and a stock – simple old days. Then I added a bench. No vice mind, just some dogs and a weird cam device, which kind of worked.
Now I have a proper(-ish) bench with a vice I made a couple of winters ago, with dogs, yes, and some Gramercy hold fasts from Brooklyn. But why do I put up with inconvenience for so long before I sort it out? The inconvenience is often more time-consuming in the long run than doing the fix. Well all I can say with Puck is ‘Lord, what fools these mortals be!’ (Midsummer Night’s Dream).
Anyway, I sorted out the ash plank yesterday:
All I needed to do was some (rather warming) planing the thickness, measuring and boring. So now the heads sit properly, are set at the right width so I can cramp any length up to about 3’3″ on a continuous scale, and I can pat myself on the head (but not necessarily rub my tummy at the same time (C’mon it’s not that hard – Ed)).
Look how crazy the old holes were on the back of that plank, doh!
It has been too cold for anything much to grow for the last month when Spring should have been springing, but I’m delighted to say that Spring has now indeed sprung and the wood has suddenly come very much alive, even the bluebells look to be about to give us their misty display at any moment:
Any day now the wood will be carpeted with these little beauties – wood anemones: